Detangling curly hair can be the most dreaded step in a curly girl's routine. The fear of breakage or hair loss, the time it takes to make sure all of those strands are free and clear of snags, and of course the pain of it all.
Anyone with curls can probably remember those childhood moments as we sat in-between our mother's legs as she tried her best to pull apart those beautiful curls, instantly bringing them back to life.
Well, we've come a long way since then, and with some good products and of course a bit of patience, we can lock the dreaded knot-monster of our childhood in the closet for good!
Here are some tried and trued tips to make detangling a breeze!
1. Start by sectioning hair before you detangle and secure with clips. This makes it easy to focus on one section at a time.
2. Detangle right after washing and conditioning your curls. Wet hair is delicate, so make sure to hold the hair at the root and work your way up from the ends slowly.
3. Spray a detangler before combing and allow it to penetrate the hair before starting to brush through.
4. Use a gentle detangling brush with deep and flexible bristles. This will keep hair breakage to a minimum, get right into the root, help with scalp circulation, and be less painful than tugging on hair with stiff combs or brushes.
5. After each section is detangled, make sure to clip it up again to keep it out of the way until all sections are brushed through.
Try these tips and share them with your mom so she can try them on her grandchildren. No tears here!