Curly heads living in a cold climate know exactly when indoor heating starts to affect their hair. Their curls change drastically, making it especially important to know how to adjust their styling techniques to suit all weather conditions. Central heating is a fact of life in northern climates. It is very difficult to maintain bouncy, healthy curls when all of the moisture is being absorbed by central heating. Extra effort is required at this time of the year to keep your loose waves and curls looking full and healthy. Those of you with tight curls will notice a reduction in the bulk. Loose wavy and curly hair loses its shape which makes it much harder to maintain your hairstyle. To improve the way your hair reacts in the cold winter months you must learn to balance the moisture that will keep the bounce and volume in your hair.
Tips to Winterize Your Hair:
- Use a Humidifier in the room where you sleep at night. This will add moisture to the air and you will see a noticeable improvement to your hair and skin.
- Double up on the treatments that you use to moisturize your hair. Our Pure Silk Protein deposits a generous amount of silk protein to the hair without ever leaving a film or buildup. Your hair will be free of rough or dry winter cuticles and you will notice the difference immediately. Pure Silk Protein treatment must be rinsed out well. Our Silk Leave-in Conditioner will continue to keep all the rough dry hair cuticles under control giving you soft, bouncy winter curls.
- Tweek™ is an excellent product for this time of year, as it is the best way to control "static" and flyaway hair, eliminate unruly frizz, and fix broken hairstyles caused by hats and hoodies – a definite winter necessity.
- When you have the time, pamper yourself with a Pure Silk Protein treatment using the Bonnet Hood Dryer. Applying heat when using conditioners will help the moisturizing ingredients penetrate deeper into the hair shaft. Heat causes the molecules to vibrate, resulting in deeper absorption. The Bonnet Hood Dryer is very easy way to do such a treatment. Just apply Pure Silk Protein Conditioner to wet hair, and then cover your hair with a plastic bag (to protect the Bonnet Hood Dryer). Attach the Bonnet Hood Dryer to your blow dryer and switch on. Always start your blow dryer on cool first, and then go warmer as desired. Wait for ten minutes, then rinse out the Pure Silk Protein thoroughly in the shower. This will provide a luxurious deep conditioning treatment that will leave your hair feeling soft and moisturized for quite some time.
- Wearing shorter curly hair styles in the cold winter months will provide style freedom. Longer curly hair is sometimes easier to maintain in warmer, summery climates. So lighten the excess weight of curly hair and allow for more bounce from even loose waves or curls. Save length for summer when there is extra moisture in the air. All Curly Hair Solutions™ products are designed with the correct PH balance to maintain a proper balance in curly hair.
- When indoor heating makes curls go flat, you could use extra help to keep the curls intact and prevent flat and limp looking curls. We recommend applying extra Gel to the hair. Try mixing some of our Gel in with Curl Keeper™ which will provide added support to deepen the "S" formation of a curl. The holding power for curly hair is not the same needed for straight hair. Curly Hair Solutions™ Gel will not spike hair. Although Curl Keeper™ will get rid of the frizz and give you control of your curls, Gel will provide the extra hold that will last all day. Our Gel reactivates with water the same way Curl Keeper™ does and also contains no silicones. This allows for easy and even distribution on wet hair as well as provides just the right amount of hold for curly hair so the hair remains clean and never flakes.
- In order to add volume, you can bend over and hang your hair over forward while squeezing your hair upwards. This will help tighten looser curls, creating volume. Using a diffuser during this process will help speed up drying time without disturbing the curls. The more you play with the curls the bigger the hairstyle. Keep in mind that Curl Keeper™ will control the frizz, so do not be afraid to play or overwork your curls. If some frizz appears simply reactivate the Curl Keeper™ by running wet hands over the frizzy area.